Friday, July 31, 2009

An Open Letter To The Mekong Delta

Hi, would you mind being a little less fascinating? I am trying to plan a trip and the abundance of the region is not helping. The sheer depth of natural, historical, cultural and spiritual gems is astonishing. Reading through my Lonely Planet guide book, it is becoming increasingly clear that I will only be able to scratch the surface of this vast and diverse region.

My wish list of must see places has already grown well beyond my time constraints. To fully experience the region and the five countries that it encompasses would take at least a year of almost constant movement to take it all in.

I will be using regional airlines, but this is more a function of avoiding border hassles. Entering Cambodia and Vietnam through land crossings has far more potential to be troublesome than entering the country by air. Right now the flight plan looks like this:

However, within Cambodia I hope to travel by boat as much as possible, and within Vietnam the railway will be my main source of transportation.

I have always loved using surface transportation, and living in Canada has blessed me with many opportunities to take some extensive and fantastic road trips within this country. I relish the feeling of being propelled forward into a kaleidoscope of the unknown.

Surface transportation also allows for the opportunity to witness the real experience of day to day life of the people who live in any given country.

Alas, there is simply too much to see here, and I will have to choose wisely from this cavalcade of riches.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com

3 comments:

  1. I am gobsmacked. I am very happy for you and am wondering.. when are you going?
    Have you found a cause or a project yet?
    I think I am going to start referring to you as Angelina.
    Well Done young man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the remarks, Shelley. I haven't found a project yet, but I am keeping faith that it will be found through my researching the trip. God knows that there is plenty of need in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. I am tentatively planning to leave in early November. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete