Monday, July 20, 2009

Anger what? No, Angkor Wat.

Siem Reap night marketImage via Wikipedia
I think I made a desicion, but is it really a decision if you're not sure you made it?

In my experience, when one buys a travel guidebook, one always ends up in that place. Mind you, I have only bought three guidebooks, but I have ended up in every place that I bought a guidebook for. This weekend, I bought my fourth guidebook.

For reasons that elude me, South and Central America did not strike me with the same lightning bolt that Ghana did. At least not yet. Perhaps I am not ready to go to these places yet, but I will get there one day.

Every Wednesday and Saturday The Toronto Star has a Travel Section. On Saturday there was an article that featured the phrase "swirl of humanity", and I knew I had found my next destination(s). I like the swirl of humanity and it is exactly what I am looking for.

I want to bear witness to the experience of all humanity while I am here, so this trip seems to fit the bill.

So consider the following to be the digital equal of an itinerary printed in crayon on a cocktail napkin in an opium den. Nonetheless, the direction is set.

  • Toronto to Bangkok - spend a little time in Thailand, but the real destination is further afoot.
  • Go to Siem Reap, Cambodia. This is the gateway to Angkor Wat From there a short busride , then an awesome boatride to Phnom Penh , the capital of Cambodia.
  • Next move is Phnom Penh into Ho Chi Min city (it'll always be Saigon to me)
  • Rail journey up the coast of Vietnam with several undetermined stops on the way
  • Arrive in Hanoi, check it out.
  • Fly Hanoi to Bangkok,
  • Fly Bangkok to Toronto
  • Sigh
  • Start planning next trip. I'm already thinking Central or South America.............
There is no way that my end experience will look like this, but it is a start.

As for the next charity project, this will be like Ghana. The project will be the child produced by the massive amount of research in figuring out the details of this journey. The true purpose will present itself when it is ready.

Mekong Delta, here I come!

http://goyestoeverything.com

No comments:

Post a Comment