Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eyes On The Prize

Letter Carrier Delivering MailImage by Smithsonian Institution via Flickr
I love getting mail, and I mean real mail, not bills or the endless junkmail that usually pollutes my inbox and our environment, but real honest to God mail.

Recently, I have been very busy busy, working two jobs, slowly building content for my website and adding other platforms to present that content on social networking sites.

As a result, you can now view my content on my website Facebook,and MySpace. In addition I am also Tweeting and I have a YouTube channel.

Integrating all of these platforms is still a work in progress and all of this infrastructure building has strayed me from my main purpose. Near as I can recall that purpose was to plan a trip to The Mekong Delta and to create a small microproject in the region, like The Omenako School Project

Oh yeah; that

Anyway, as did my weekly mailbox check, among the twenty flyers and one bill was an unexpected envelope from my brother and sister in-law. The envelope contained a cover article from the July 2009 issue of National Geographic

The article is a fascinating account of trying to understand why Angkor Wat was abandoned and forgotten.

In its heyday, Angkor Wat and the surrounding area was home to hundreds of thousands of people. In 1860 it was "rediscovered" by Alexandre Henri Mahout who was tipped off by a French missionary. Publication of his journals and drawings reintroduced this marvel to the modern world.

Make no mistake, this lost city rivals anything that human beings have accomplished anywhere ever.

http://goyestoeverything.com

No comments:

Post a Comment